Thursday, August 25, 2005

 

25th hour...

‘’Give me the word and I'll take a left turn.’’
-‘’Left turn to where?’’
‘’Wherever you want. Take the GW Bridge and go west. Get you stitched up somewhere and keep
going. Find a nice little town –‘’
- ‘’Dad.’’
‘’I'm saying if you want. If that's what you want, I'll do it… We'll drive and keep driving… Head out to the middle of nowhere…Find a nice little town. Find a bar, and I'll buy us drinks. I haven't had a drink in nineteen years, but I'll have one with you. And then I'll leave. I'll tell you don't ever write me, don't ever come visit. I'll tell you I believe in God's Kingdom and I believe I'll be with you again, and your mother. But not in this lifetime.’’
‘’You get a job somewhere, a job that pays cash, a boss who doesn't ask questions, and you make a new life, and you never come back.. You find the right people and you get yourself papers, a driver's license. And then you wait. People get caught when they come home. But you'll never come home.’’
‘’ And maybe -- and this is dangerous-- but maybe after a couple years you send word to Naturelle.’’ ‘’You forget about New York. You can't come back. You can't call, you can't write.’’
‘’And maybe one day, years from now, long after I'm dead and gone, you gather your whole family together and you tell them the truth. Who you are and where you came from. You tell them the whole thing. And then you ask them if they know how lucky they are to be there. It all came so close to never happening.’’

‘’This life came so close to never happening.’’

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?